This site is intended for healthcare professionals only

What to do when an employer has overpaid wages

Written by: | Published:

: My employer has informed me that I have been overpaid for nearly two years. They accept it was their mistake but have notified me that they want me to pay it back. I cannot afford to. Does my employer have the right to take it back even though it was their mistake?

: By law, our employers are only entitled to make certain deductions from our pay. They can deduct tax and national insurance and they can make other deductions for which they have been given written consent or in your contract.

However, if there has been a genuine overpayment of your wages, your em

Please login or register to read the rest of the article and to have access to downloads and comments.

What do you think? Leave a comment below or tweet your views to @IndyNurseMag

This material is protected by MA Healthcare Ltd copyright.
See Terms and Conditions.

Read a free issue from Practice Nursing

Register to read a free issue from our sister publication, Practice Nursing.

Including articles on asthma, diabetes and more. Read your copy.


Sign up to the newsletter


Independent Nurse is the professional resource for primary care and community nurses, providing clinical articles for practice nurses and prescribers.


Subscribe to our newsletter and stay up to date with the latest nursing news.

Stay Connected

Stay social with Independent Nurse by following us on Twitter, liking us on Facebook or connecting on LinkedIn.


Need access to some of our older articles? You can view our archive, or alternatively contact us.

Contact Us

MA Healthcare Ltd.
St Jude's Church, Dulwich Road
London, SE24 0PB

Tel: +44 (0)20 7738 5454
Registered in England and Wales No. 01878373

Meet the team


Find out how to contribute to Independent Nurse here.